Take off with us in August 2018!
This August we will be commemorating the first Airmail flight from the College Park Airport in 1918! Our celebration will include a new exhibit Delivering America: Airmail to Email as well as a weekend of celebration August 10-12.
Some of the highlights will include:
Raffle for a Jenny Flight
Support the Field of Firsts Foundation and enter to win a once in a lifetime experience – a ride in a historic Curtiss Jenny aircraft! $100/ticket. Tickets on sale: July 1 – August 5, 2018. For details and to purchase tickets, check the Field of Firsts website.
Exhibit Preview Gala Reception
Friday, August 10, 7pm - 10pm
Join us for a Barnstorming good time with our “special guest” – a Curtiss Jenny aircraft and get a first look at our new exhibit. Enjoy live music, great food and drinks, an auction, and dancing! All proceeds support the Field of Firsts Foundation and the Airmail Centennial Celebration.
Click Here to purchase your tickets!
United States Postal Office First Day of Issue Airmail Stamp Unveiling at College Park!
Join us on Saturday, August 11 at 11 am. for the unveiling of the second United States Air Mail Forever Stamp.
Click here for more information on the stamps.
Airmail Centennial Celebration Family Day
Saturday, August 11, 2018 10 am-4 pm
Our Family Day will take place throughout our campus
- Participate in engaging hands-on activities for all ages led by numerous museums, community members, and aviation partners
- Get an up close and personal look at the Curtiss Jenny and other historic planes flying in for the weekend
- Chat with pilots and mingle with fellow aviation buffs
- Bring an envelope or postcard for a special Airmail cancellation
- View our new exhibit Delivering America: Airmail to Email
- Discover the art of rib making
- See Antique and Collector Cars on special display
- Entertainment and food trucks will be onsite with food and beverages for purchase.
Photo Courtesy of Charles Townley Chapman
U.S. Airmail Flight Reenactment, Fly-in & Pancake Breakfast
Sunday, August 12, 2018, 6:45 am–10 am
*6:45 Hangar doors open and coffee will be served, flight will leave between 6:45 am - 7:00 am.
*Pancake Breakfast starts at 7am.
Savor the mysterious sense of place and join us to watch the early morning departure of the Curtiss Jenny as it takes off on a reenactment of the historic flight one hundred years ago. Enjoy a pancake breakfast with all the fixings, meet pilots who have flown in for the day and learn more about the operational challenges of an airport so close to our Nation’s capital.
How to Register:
Call the museum at (301) 864-6029 to register you and your group. We look forward to eating pancakes and watching the historic U.S Airmail flight with you!
The fun doesn't stop there!
Additional events, educational programming, and historic aircraft displays include:
- Shared programming with Smithsonian National Postal Museum
- Creation of an on-line learning lab for teachers with National Postal Museum
- Three new Airmail Guided tours for specific audiences: elementary school, middle school to adult tours, and specialized tours for our visitors with disabilities.
- Aviation Career Days – Details and dates to come
- College Park Day Fall 2018
- Fly & Drive Spring – 2019
- The Great Airmail Race – 2019
- Airmail Field Day – August/September 2019